Napoli is the first team that fail to reach the knockout stage in the UEFA Champions League after gaining 12 points!
Arsenal did the bare minimum. They need to forget that match ever happened and prepare for a tough match in The Etihad this weekend.
Scored for Napoli: Higuain 74′ min, Callejon 92′ min.
RED CARD! Arteta
76′ min – Arteta gets his second yellow card.
The Gunners, playing their best football in many years, need only a draw tonight when they play against Napoli in order to progress to the knock-out stages of the Champions League.
Can Olivier Giroud score tonight against Napoli and help Arsenal qualify in first place?
Some interesting facts on both teams:
- Napoli must win by a 3 goal margin to secure a place in the top sixteen.
- Napoli must do better than Dortmund against Marseille to reach the knockout stage of the Champions League for the second time in the history of the Club. If Napoli win by a one or two goal margin and Borussia Dortmund beat Marseille, Napoli will be the first side to finish at the 3rd place in a CL group picking up 12 points.
- The Partenopei haven’t drawn a game over their last 18 fixtures in European competition.
- Arsenal are on course to reach the knockout stage for the 11th season in a row in the Champions League.
- Arsene Wenger’s side were defeated 4-0 in their last trip to Italy (vs AC Milan in February 2012).
- Arsenal have won five of their last six Champions League matches between this and last season.
- Mesut Özil has only scored once in an away game in the Champions League back in April 2012.
- Gonzalo Higuaín has never scored against an English team in the Champions League.
ARSENAL have released the line up to face Everton today in a match which could see the Gunners pull away from the pack with seven points.
Arsene Wenger decided to bench Flamini and have Giroud, Ozil and Cazorla and lead the attack. Everton have no changes in line-ups.
Arsenal line-up against Everton: Szczesny, Jenkinson, Koscielny, Mertesacker, Gibbs, Arteta, Ramsey, Wilshere , Giroud, Ozil, Cazorla.
The Gunners may want to make changes after maintaining their four-point lead at the top in the Premier League on Wednesday against Hull.
Wenger will be tempted to recall the likes of Jack Wilshere, Mikel Arteta and Olivier Giroud while Theo Walcott could start for the first time since September.
Stay tuned for more as the game starts tomorrow at the Emirates Stadium, kick-off 16.00 (GMT).
According to Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho, Arsenal made less mistakes so far and deserve to lead the premier league.
“Arsenal Are Better”, he said, and we want to hear the same words again in May.
Beating Hull City at home is part of a routine – a trend of victories.
Most of the game resembled more to a training exercise. Aaron Ramsey and Mesut Özil were superb and both Arsenal’s goals were of the highest class. In such a day even Nicklas Bendtner scored.
Wenger intends to purchase as early as January another striker. The name of Dzeko is a strong candidate together with Karim Benzema, another player in Arsenal wish list for January transfer window.
The Bosnian striker, Edin Dzeko, whose contract until June 2015 , is not happy with his present condition in Manchester City and looking for a new team.
Kelechi Iheanacho led Nigeria to the title in Under-17 World Cup. According to Iheanacho’s agent, Henry Galeano, the 17 year old talent is being suited by several teams including the Gunners.
Will Kelechi join Arsenal?